Are you pet crazy? Do you love your dog? Do you try to do the very best for your dog? Are you a responsible dog owner? Do you know what a responsible dog owner does?
Have you ever heard your friends or neighbors say… "If I die and come back as a dog, I hope I come back as YOUR dog?"
If so, take our site PetCrazy Dog Owner Pledge! Promise your dog that you will try to be the very best owner that you can be!
As a responsible PetCrazy dog owner, I pledge to:
1. Monitor my pet daily for any early signs of illness including not eating, not drinking, acting lethargic, weakness, lameness, itching, any change or increase in drinking or urinating, difficulty breathing, bad breath, abnormal or foul smelling skin, obvious masses or tumors, difficulty urinating or defecating, vomiting or diarrhea.
2. See or call my veterinarian immediately if I suspect a problem with my pet. I will not delay consultation.
3. I will do all that I can to ensure good preventative health care for my pet including recommended exams, vaccinations, heartworm prevention, health screenings, dental care and use of flea and tick control products if needed. I'll consult with my veterinarian for additional recommendations for my dog based on my geographical location as well as the health and age of my dog.
4. I'll ensure my pet is properly identified at all times with a collar, tag and/or microchip.
5. I will follow local laws regarding licensing and leashes.
6. I'll feed my dog a premium high-quality dog food.
7. Ensure my dog has plenty of fresh clean water at all times.
8. I will play with my dog every day for at least 20 minutes and give plenty of opportunities for exercise and mental stimulation.
9. I will keep my yard and home "pet safe" by minimizing dangers and toxins that can be unsafe to my pet. For a list of toxins and dangers, click here.
10. I will pick up after my pet (wastes) when walking him in public and residential areas.
11. I will regularly groom my pet and ensure he looks his best at all times. This may mean periodic baths; nail trims, and daily brushing.
12. I'll spend at least 10 minutes every day to make sure my dog knows he is special. This may be special bonding time consisting of playing, petting or talking.
13. I will work to ensure my dog is properly behaved. This may include obedience training to ensure my pet will sit, stay, heel, and come when called.
14. I'll provide my dog with a warm, dry and safe place to live, sleep and play.
15. I'll provide a comfortable clean environment that is neither too hot nor too cold.
16. I will be patient when I am teaching and training my dog. I will praise and encourage my dog when he does what I desire. I will never yell, strike or punish my friend when he doesn't understand what I ask of him.
17. I'll ensure that my dog has plenty of opportunities to urinate and defecate that allows him to be comfortable and compliant to house rules.
18. I will always love my dog as unconditionally as he loves me.
Signed ____________________________________ Dog's Name